Senior Counsel, Commercial
Blockdaemon is seeking an experienced and innovative attorney to support our blockchain infrastructure business as we expand worldwide. In this role, you will interact directly with the sales and product teams and company leadership with an emphasis on complex commercial arrangements and understanding of regulatory development to ensure compliance of new and existing products.
This is a senior individual contributor role where you will come up with practical and creative solutions to get deals done and advance our business. Drafting and communication skills are extremely important as you design ways to provide business flexibility and playbooks for the business. We believe that it is the role of in-house counsel to own the deal. We are not processing hundreds of small sales deals with tweaks to the governing law clause. Instead, our wallet, staking and node services are complex and require a thoughtful approach by a senior lawyer. This is an opportunity to play a leading role in the global expansion of a market leading business in the web3/crypto industry.
- Draft and negotiate customer contracts including: wallet, staking, nodes, software as a service, on prem software licensing, and other commercial and technology related agreements.
- Advise product, engineering, operations, and marketing teams on meeting strategic objectives while complying with laws, regulations, industry standards, and customer requirements.
- Manage contract and approval workflows, including the review, iteration, execution and record-keeping of contractual agreements.
- Provide legal guidance to Blockdaemon’s leadership, including counseling regarding the development and implementation of blockchain infrastructure technology, especially relating to the proof of stake form of consensus, financial technology services and decentralized finance (DeFi).
- Keep up-to-date on regulatory and policy developments involving staking, blockchain and digital assets generally; think ahead, see around corners, and help prepare for and minimize risks that may arise in the future.
- Work with self-regulatory organizations (SROs) and other trade associations to develop industry leading practices.
- Manage outside counsel spend.
- Continuously assess operating risks and build legal processes that mitigate risk and foster simplicity and scalability.
- 10+ years of legal work experience, of which 3+ years of contract drafting and negotiation experience at technology companies or law firms.
- Attorney in good standing in the US, EU or other jurisdiction (lawyer/solicitor in good standing, qualified in Ireland, another EU country, UK or will consider other applicable licensure for the right candidate).
- Experience working in web3, decentralized finance or financial services, fintech, financial services regulatory authority, or relevant experience within a major law firm.
- Strong familiarity with European regulatory frameworks (AMLD5/VASP, PSD2, 2EMD and/or MiFID II, MiCA) and broader financial services regulations.
- Experience advising multi-national organizations on complex global matters, commercial transactions, and partnering with compliance, risk and other control functions.
- Ability to provide holistic, clear and practical legal advice on a broad range of matters with limited supervision.
- Resourcefulness. You solve problems, including non-traditional or undefined problems, creatively and analytically. You can calibrate a room of peers and/or stakeholders to achieve alignment.
- Sound judgment and composure in high-pressure situations; display discretion and integrity in all interactions.
Exceptional Candidates will have:
- Experience advising on wallet related services or web3 infrastructure matters.
- Experience working with emerging technology companies, especially advising on SaaS or technology infrastructure matters.
We Know Nodes.
Blockdaemon is the leading blockchain node infrastructure platform. Supporting 30+ protocols, 70 out-of-the-box node types, and monitoring plug-ins for cloud and on-premises services, Blockdaemon is used by exchanges, custodians, enterprises, financial institutions and 10k+ developers to connect commercial stakeholders to blockchains. Blockdaemon's mission is to simplify the process of deploying nodes and creating scalable enterprise blockchain solutions via APIs, BYOI, auto- decentralization and auto-healing of nodes.
We are rapidly growing our fully remote, decentralized team. We are made up of dedicated and passionate individuals who want to make an impact in this dynamic and emerging industry.
We are a fully distributed team and have the tools and benefits to support you in your remote work environment.
Blockdaemon is an Equal Opportunity Employer.