Staff Backend Engineer
Magic is an early stage, fast-growing contender to transform the antiquated user identity space by eliminating the need for passwords, with backing from top investors such as Tiger Global, Lightspeed Ventures, SV Angel, Social Capital, Northzone, Placeholder, Naval Ravikant, Alexis Ohanian, Ryan Hoover, and Balaji Srinivasan. Our mission is to provide delightful authentication to onboard the next generation of web3 users, safeguarding the trust between users and Internet services by establishing a secure and authentic digital identity.
Magic's vision is to build the passport of the internet. We are looking for team members who are not afraid to push beyond the status quo and create the most straightforward, most secure, and most long-term sustainable identity solution for app developers and end-users. This is a unique opportunity to help us disrupt the world of authentication.
As a Staff Backend Engineer at Magic, you will play a key role in building platforms from the ground up, launching pivotal features for our consumers (end users and developers alike), as well as scaling our existing systems. As an early member of Magic’s engineering team, you will shape and establish processes as our organization scales. This is a high impact role where you will act as a key player in Magic’s technical & product strategy, operations, architecture, and execution.
In this role, you will:
- Work with engineers, product managers, designers, and stakeholders across the company to bring new features and products to Magic users.
- Build software that will impact every Magic user, whether they’re an end user, developer, or partner.
- Collaborate with backend and frontend developers to set best practices for software development across the company.
- Act as a role model in setting a high bar for engineering standards.
- Inspire and guide the team to expand their knowledge around best practices and techniques.
- Lead engineers in tackling key technical projects with monumental impact on the trajectory of Magic.
- Ensure our APIs and backend systems are reliable, scalable, and secure.
- Recognize impediments to our efficiency as a team ("technical debt"), propose and implement solutions.
We are looking for someone who has:
- A strong technical background, with 6 to 12+ years of experience in backend and API development.
- Experience working with MySQL and Python in production (Go/Node is a plus).
- Previous experience as the technical lead for a team of engineers, and ability to demonstrate technical leadership.
- Excitement about building the future of web3 and democratizing access to a user-centered web.
- A collaborative and motivated mindset, with a drive to build in a fast-paced, startup environment.
- A desire to motivate the engineering team to succeed and thrive.
- The ability to listen well and internalize the best ideas from all over the organization while also setting a vision that others are excited to get behind.
- Fully remote team and flexible working hours
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited paid time off
- Platinum-level Health, Vision, and Dental insurance
- 401(k) program
- Top of the line equipment
- $300 monthly budget for home office needs and professional development
- Annual team meetups
At Magic, we believe building a team full of diverse perspectives and experiences is vital to success. We strongly encourage anyone who has been historically under-represented in tech to apply for this role. Magic does not discriminate on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, citizenship status, age or physical ability. Empathy, authenticity, and inclusivity are at the core of all we do.
Something looks off?